Secure Your Health; Build Stronger Immunity
Health Relativity created this quick resource list for you to start strengthening your body’s defenses. It’s time to double down on immune boosting activities and nutrition. Take note, nutrition is never a “one-size-fits-all”. However, this short list is a great start. *Ask your doctor, nutritionist or contact Dr. Susan Fox for an individual assessment and custom nutrition plan.
Staying Healthy amid COVID-19
A strong immune system and healthy environment will help reduce the impacts of the COVID-19 virus.
We all now have ample information about washing hands, disinfecting surfaces and physical distancing to reduce the spread of this virus. These are important protocols to maintain, especially if you live in a community with a high concentration of infection or you know you are in the high risk category.
What if you do contract the virus?
If you contract COVID-19, you want to be as strong and healthy as possible to defend against it and reduce the impact on you and your family. With a highly functional immune system, you may only experience a light to moderate infection. We can do this.
Major contributors to a healthy immune system: Create a few new habits
- SLEEP. Prioritize comfortable and rejuvenating sleep. Approximately 8 hours each night to rest and restore. The body needs this time to conduct essential physiological functions and prepare you for another day of feeling great.
- EXERCISE. Move the body to move the lymph and blood and elevate your mood. Every day.
- ELIMINATE TOXINS and FOODS THAT CAUSE INFLAMMATION. Alcohol, sugar, gluten, coffee (1 cup max), meat, commercially grown food which has many chemicals and toxins in it (buy organic), environmental toxins (synthetic scents, detergents, house cleaners, body products), etc.
- FASTING. Intermittent fasting can give the body time to process existing food intake and eliminate unwanted cell waste and toxins which build up in the body. Or take one whole day to fast on water only or the “master cleanse” which is easy to find online.
- TEMPERATURE BATHS. If you are feeling adventurous, alternating between a hot sauna and a cold water soak super charges the circulatory and immune system.
- RECONNECT WITH NATURE. Take time every day to turn off all screens and enjoy nature. Walk, sit, and breath in the fresh air around you. Feel the connection to Nature that is always there. This has a direct balancing effect on your nervous system and supports immune function.
- BREATH. Simple. Sit, find a comfortable position, close eyes, focus on your breath. Slow your breath to 4 or 5 counts on the inhale and exhale. 2 minutes. Notice how you feel. Look at the world from this place.
- SUPPLEMENTAL/NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT. Support the basic building blocks of the immune system and detoxification system. *See list below for the quick reference.
Immunity Boosting Supplements (the short list)
- VITAMIN A: Fat-soluble compounds that support immune system and organ function.
- VITAMIN B: B-6, B-12 and other B vitamins carry out vital biochemical reactions in the immune system, as well as boosting energy. Found in: bananas, spinach, fish and meats.
- VITAMIN C: A powerful antioxidant and an essential building block for the immune system and body detoxification. Found in: peppers, papaya, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, strawberries, citrus.
- VITAMIN D: Supports overall health of the immune system as well as maintaining the health of bones and teeth. Found in: oily fish, mushrooms, egg yolks. **Discontinue Vit D for the duration of COVID-19 infection, per Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine)
- ZINC: A trace mineral that is essential for regulating the immune system and activating T cells. Found in: red meat, shellfish, legumes, hemp, flax, pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds, pine nuts, eggs.
- FOLIC ACID/METHYLFOLATE (B-9): Stimulates the immune system, a player in making red and white blood cells, utilizing carbohydrates as energy, making healthy DNA, and methylation.
- ANTIVIRAL HERBS: Goldenseal, Oil of Oregano, Arborvitae (Thuja), Cat’s Claw, Calendula, Echinacea, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Juniper Berry, Frankincense. (note: Elderberry not recommended during COVID infection. Click HERE for information from Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine)
Remember, building up your immune system is the most important step you can take toward protecting your health.
Improve your nutritional intake and start a few new healthy habits today. Let’s get stronger and more resilient!
By Terra Sutton, April 2020